Continued support for Western Canadian communities
January 2, 2018
Western Financial Group awards 45 infrastructure grants totalling $225,000
High River, AB - Western Financial Group (Western), through its charitable arm, the Western Communities Foundation, has awarded 45 infrastructure grants of $5,000 each for 2017.
The Foundation’s Infrastructure Grant Program provides financial assistance for projects supporting public health, public housing, education, and recreation in the communities where Western operates.
Funds for the infrastructure grants are raised by employees of Western through an annual Support the Cause Day Walk and other charitable ventures. Winners are chosen lottery-style from a pool of deserving nominees put forth by the various branches and affiliates of Western.
Since its inception in 2002, the Western Communities Foundation has contributed nearly $2 million to the communities where Western operates.
2017 Grant Recipients
- Campbell River: Campbell River Minor Baseball facility upgrade
- Cranbrook: Playlot upgrade for the Boys’ and Girls’ club
- Duncan: Sundrops Child & Family Development Centre – new building
- Elkford: Playground equipment upgrade Devonian Park
- Fruitvale: Beaver Valley Arena – renovation to arena viewing room
- Mill Bay: Shawnigan Pavilion Community Park upgrade (seating and bike racks)
- Mission: Black Mountain Elementary School playground enhancement
- Nanaimo (Port Place): Coal Tyee Elementary School playground upgrade
- Nanaimo: Scouts Canada – repairs to Scout Hut
- Pender Island: Multi-use play space for Epicentre Family Co-op
- Prince George: New fire hall
- Richmond (Cambie): City of Richmond South Arm Community Fitness Centre upgrade
- Richmond (Steveston): Tomekichi Homma Elementary School courtyard renovation
- Saanichton: Farmlands Trust (Greater Victoria) Society irrigation maintenance
- Sparwood: New scoreboard for Sparwood Secondary School
- Surrey (Grandview Corners): Peace Arch ER expansion
- Victoria (Admiral’s Walk): Saanich Neighbourhood Place (new childcare facility)
- Victoria (Bay Centre): Brain Injury Society upgrade and improve facility
- Victoria (Eagle Creek): Glanford Middle School replacement project playground upgrades
- Victoria (Shelbourne): Frank Hobbs Playground Project
- Victoria (Tillicum): BOE School District 361 community sign board
- Victoria (Westshore): City of Colwood park upgrade
- Victoria: Victoria Women’s Transition House Society lighting upgrade
- Westbank: Ga Ga ball play area
- Bassano: Bassano Curling Rink plant upgrade – brine chiller
- Drumheller: Habitat for Humanity
- Fariview/Grimshaw: Kids with Cancer Society renovation of Kids with Cancer Home
- Grande Cache: Sheldon Coats Elementary Playground
- High River: Millennium Park remediation at Medicine Tree Manor
- Medicine Hat: Extreme Shelter renovation for SPCA
- Morrin: Morrin Arena new roof
- Peace River: New community arena
- Vegreville: Town of Vegreville New RJV soccer park
- Vermillion: Living Well Campaign – modernize senior lodge rooms
- Vulcan: Swimming pool upgrade
- Brandon: Festival Park new amphitheatre at Riverbank Discovery Centre
- Gilbert Plains: Gilbert Plains splash park renovation
- Souris: Souris Health Auxiliary ultrasound machine
- Winnipeg: Laidlaw School outdoor space improvement project
- Winnipeg: Minnetonka School playground
- Winnipeg: Wayoata School greening project
- Assiniboia: New fire truck
- LeRoy: LeRoy Daycare building
- Melfort: Melfort Chapter of Habitat for Humanity
- Rosetown: Walter Aseltine School Playground
Western Communities Foundation
Founded in 2002, the Western Communities Foundation serves to give back to the communities where Western employees live and work, and foster employee pride and engagement. The Foundation’s core donation programs include community infrastructure grants, Exceptional Achievement Citation & Bursary Awards for graduating high school students and a Matching Grants program. Since its inception, the Western Communities Foundation has raised more than $1 million to support local communities.
Western Financial Group Inc.
Western Financial Group is a diversified insurance services company that serves customers across Western Canada. Founded in 1996 and headquartered in High River, Alberta, Western provides personal and business insurance services through more than 157 locations, affiliates and online. With a skilled team of approximately 1,700 employees, Western is committed to building the strongest insurance organization in Western Canada.
Western Financial Group is a subsidiary of Trimont Financial, a subsidiary of Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company.