How Insurance Protects Your General Livestock
Livestock insurance gives you protection against accidents and unexpected events that can affect the animals on your farm.
This insurance covers all types of livestock. Whether you have cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, goats, or more than one type of animal, you are covered. You can customize your general livestock insurance to suit your needs and your budget.
Having livestock insurance mitigates risks that your animals can face and helps keep your business profitable.
What is livestock insurance?
Farm animals are susceptible to respiratory problems, birthing, weather events, digestive problems, and other issues. Livestock insurance protects against these unexpected events and accidents.
The most common type of livestock insurance is herd insurance, which covers a limited number of animals.
Another type of livestock insurance is animal mortality insurance, which protects against the costs of animal deaths due to fire, windstorm, hail, lightning, collision or upset during transit, drowning, accidental shooting, theft, and other perils.
Insuring animals for theft is coming in industries such as dairy farming and professional horse stables.
Livestock insurance is customizable
Livestock insurance can be customized for your farm and coverage works in different ways. The type of coverage you have determines how much you will be reimbursed by insurance for each animal. It is important to understand your policy.
Your Western farm insurance expert will answer any questions you may have about insurance for general livestock and what policy is right for you. Examples of customized coverage include:
- Liability coverage, which insures against property damage or bodily injury caused to a third party by your livestock.
- Heat prostration insurance, which covers livestock deaths from high temperatures due to causes like a power outage or hot weather.
- Milk spoilage insurance, which covers spoilage or contamination of milk due to mechanical breakdown, power outage, or contaminants like medication, cleaning solutions, or dirt.
- Specialized coverage for diseases, old age, and death by natural causes, which general livestock insurance does not cover.
You can also ask your Western insurance expert about other types of insurance your farm may need, such as:
- Commercial general liability insurance
- Farm income insurance
- Mobile agricultural machinery insurance
- Equipment breakdown insurance
- Residential insurance
- Farm buildings & contents insurance
- Umbrella liability insurance
- Comprehensive personal liability insurance