5 Claims that Restaurant Insurance Protects You Against
Are you ready to turn your dream of opening a restaurant into reality?
What you need to know is that restaurants face a higher risk of occupational hazards and damages compared to many other businesses. Protect your establishment with restaurant insurance.
Here are 5 common insurance claims filed by restaurants and eateries:
1. Kitchen Fire Damage
Restaurant kitchens have multiple heating elements that can pose a fire risk. Once a fire ignites, it can spread rapidly and cause significant property loss. Follow these tips to prevent and minimize the risk of kitchen fires:
- Maintain a strict cleaning schedule to control grease build-up on equipment. Pay particular attention to oven hoods, ventilation systems, grills, deep fryers, and grease traps.
- Install automatic fire extinguisher systems near cooking appliances and place portable fire extinguishers in accessible locations. Consider installing automated sprinkler systems as well.
- Regularly conduct housekeeping checks to identify and repair any defective or damaged wiring that could potentially cause electrical fires.
- Provide fire safety training for all employees, equipping them with the knowledge of how to respond in case of a fire.
- Establish clear evacuation routes with marked exits for both customers and staff. Conduct regular practice drills and ensure clear walkways for easy access to fire escapes and exits.
Did you know that inadequate insurance coverage for your restaurant can leave you exposed and vulnerable to denied claims?
2. Slips and Falls
With the hustle and bustle of a busy restaurant, the risk of slips and falls increases. Prevent injuries to your customers and employees by implementing the following measures:
- Promptly clean up spills and limit floor cleaning to times when there are fewer people in the restaurant. Place caution signs to indicate wet floors.
- Choose slip-resistant flooring options for your restaurant.
- Minimize height differences between mats, rugs, and flooring surfaces to prevent tripping hazards.
- Mandate that employees wear slip-resistant shoes.
- Maintain well-lit pathways, entrances, walkways, and parking lots throughout the year.
- Remove snow and ice promptly from the restaurant's exterior to prevent both outdoor and indoor slip hazards.
3. Equipment Breakdowns
Restaurants rely on various equipment and machinery.
Train your staff on the proper use and cleaning of all equipment. Regular cleaning of kitchen appliances is not only essential but also a legal requirement when serving food to the public.
- Stay on top of routine maintenance and address necessary repairs immediately. Recognize when it's time to replace equipment that is beyond repair.
Restaurants can be attractive targets for thieves due to valuable equipment, inventory, and the perception of having cash on hand. Protect your restaurant with the following measures:
- Install effective lighting both inside and outside your restaurant. Consider using motion sensor lights and security cameras for added security.
- Secure doors and windows, particularly backdoors that may be left open for convenience. Ensure front doors and windows provide good visibility to discourage theft attempts.
- Avoid having employees open or close the restaurant alone. Ensure that all entrances are locked during closing procedures, as opening and closing times are prime targets for robberies.
- Make frequent cash deposits and avoid keeping large amounts of cash on hand.
In the unfortunate event of vandalism, promptly file a police report and contact your insurance broker or company. Take preventive measures to reduce the risk of vandalism to your restaurant:
- Maintain well-lit surroundings.
- Install visible security cameras near windows and other vulnerable areas to discourage vandalism attempts.
- Have an alarm system to startle and deter vandals, potentially preventing or minimizing damage.
Protecting Your Restaurant with Customized Insurance Coverage
At Western Financial Group, we make getting customized restaurant insurance a seamless experience. Our business insurance experts have the expertise and knowledge to advise you on the insurance coverage that best suits your restaurant’s needs.