Get Slip and Fall Insurance Before Winter
With winter coming, having slip and fall insurance for your small business is extra important because the chances of someone being injured in a fall on your business property are higher.
You can help prevent slips and falls by keeping walkways free of hazards, well lit, and clear of ice and snow.
Talk to your Western insurance expert about purchasing slip and fall insurance, also called commercial general liability insurance, for your small business. We have the knowledge and expertise to guide you through this process.
What is slip and fall insurance for small businesses?
Slips and falls are one of the most common liability claims faced by businesses and sometimes all it takes is a patch of ice on your sidewalk for someone to be injured.
Slips and falls are covered by commercial general liability (CGL) insurance, which is a type of coverage almost every business needs. If clients visit your business location, there is always a risk of a slip and fall or other injury, especially in the winter.
Commercial general liability insurance covers:
- Medical bills if someone is injured on your business property
- Property damage caused by your business
- Legal expenses
- Damage to property that your business rents
- Libel, defamation, slander, and false advertising
- Product liability
Your Western small business insurance expert will answer any questions you may have about commercial general liability insurance, also known as slip and fall insurance, and what policy is right for you.
What else does small business insurance cover?
Commercial general liability insurance is one of the most important types of insurance for your business in the winter and all year, but did you know that when you insure your small business, your policy can also include other types of coverage? It can cover your business property and building if you own it, vehicles you use for business purposes, and claims of negligence or failing to deliver a service.
Tips for preventing slips and falls at your small business
- Fix potholes and other tripping hazards or mark them with warning signs. People are more likely to fall if they do not know there is a tripping hazard, especially in the winter.
- Slippery surfaces are one of the most common causes of slips and falls. Keep all pathways and stairs de-iced and put down gravel.
- Good lighting is important as days grow shorter. Help prevent slips and falls at your small business by helping people see where hazards are.
- Keep a detailed log of who shoveled the snow, when, and what the weather was like so you can prove that you are removing snow if there is a slip and fall.
Western has small business insurance experts across Canada. Fill out our form in one minute. One of our insurance brokers will contact you shortly. Our experts are also available now in branch or on the phone to help you navigate the home insurance journey that will give you the right policy for your situation.
September 26, 2022
September 23, 2022
September 22, 2022