facebook pixel

Default Test Message - Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse dapibus, ante a dignissim luctus

Insurance for Alberta Contractors

Insurance for Alberta Contractors

Alberta contractors can face many risks. An on-the-job mishap, incident, or an accident that involves a client or supplier could result in a costly lawsuit.

Do you have contractors insurance to protect your business?

Alberta contractors insurance helps protect you from liability claims. Without contractor insurance you would be responsible for paying any liability claim expenses out of your own pocket.

How will Alberta contractor insurance protect my business?

Showing proof of insurance will give your customers confidence in your Alberta contractor/renovator/construction business.

An Alberta contractor insurance package can help protect you from these common claims:

  1. You have caused deep scratches on a client’s hardwood floor because you have left tool on it during the course of a renovation job. The client expects you to pay for the repairs to her floor. Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance can help cover the cost of repairing the table.

Lawsuits, legal, and medical expenses can add up quickly without CGL insurance.

  1. You drove to a job site with your personal car and were in an accident. Your personal car insurance typically does not cover you while on the job. Commercial auto insurance is essential for your construction business because it protects trucks, cars, buses, trailers, vans, construction vehicles and any other vehicle you use.

Commercial auto coverage also provides you with third-party liability coverage in the case of an accident.

How much does Alberta contractor insurance cost?

There is no one-size-fits-all insurance price for Alberta contractors.

The following factors are usually taken into consideration when calculating your premium:

  • Your Alberta location
  • Number of employees
  • Annual revenue
  • The services you provide
  • Any past claims
  • How long have you been in business

At Western financial Group, we are business insurance experts. We will save you time and money by doing the insurance shopping for you to find the right package at the right value for your Alberta contractor business.

What insurance do Alberta contractors need?

Commercial general liability insurance

It’s also known as “slip-and-fall” insurance because it protects against claims involving third-party bodily injuries, such as a client getting injured while you are doing work at their home or business.

It can also help protect you against third-party property damage such damaging property while you are doing work at a client’s home or business.

It also helps protect you, as an Alberta contractor, against allegations of false advertising, and libel or slander.

Without commercial general liability insurance, you would be responsible for paying any liability costs out of your own pocket, which can add up quickly.

It’s recommended that you have $1 million to $2 million in CGL insurance, but you many need a higher amount if you are a large contractor.

Tools and equipment insurance

It replaces, or repairs damaged, stolen, or lost equipment and tools, accessories, or other property that you use in your cement/concrete business.

Anything valued at less than $1,500 is considered a tool and anything above that limit is considered equipment.

This type of insurance can also be called equipment floater insurance.

Commercial auto Insurance

Your Alberta construction business needs commercial auto coverage as part of your insurance package. Personal car policies will not cover your drivers or your contractor business.

Cyber liability insurance

Do you take digital payments and keep client information online? If so, your computer system could be hacked by cyberthieves.

Without cyber insurance, you will have to pay out of your pocket for the cost of restoring your system. You may also be liable for damages to third parties whose information has been stolen.

Commercial property insurance

Commercial property insurance keeps it protected from property losses, such as theft or vandalism. You can also add earthquake insurance, sewer backup or flood coverage extensions to protect your office headquarters.

Property you may need to insure:

  • Buildings and other structures
  • Furniture, equipment, supplies
  • Computers
  • Documents such as payroll, accounts receivable

Business interruption insurance

This type of insurance supports you when your Alberta contractor business can’t operate due to a covered loss.

There are a number of losses that can force your business to shut down. Some examples are:

  • Damage to your equipment from fire or vandalism
  • A major reduction in revenue due to a client/supplier facing losses of their own
  • A disruption in your supply chain

Business interruption insurance can help with these expenses:

  • Payroll
  • Rent
  • Utilities
  • Property taxes

Get a Certificate of Insurance (COI)

A certificate of insurance shows that have taken steps to protect your Alberta contractor’s business and that you are a responsible business owner.

A typical COI includes the following information:

  • The name of the insurance brokerage and its address that issued the COI
  • The name of your insurance company
  • Your name and the address of your small business
  • Your insurance policy number and its expiration date
  • A description of the insurance coverages on your policy